Student Accounts

Fostering financial literacy

Focus on grades while we handle finances

Individual and joint accounts for minors
Custodial/UTMA accounts available
Minors eligible to open accounts at 16

Educational Systems FCU services and resources are designed to empower students with a financial foundation. Whether you're a young adult in need of an account to manage your money or a parent interested in opening a college savings account for a minor, we're confident we can help you take the first step toward a bright financial future.

Open an account today to take advantage of our membership benefits. As a valued member of our Credit Union, you'll enjoy competitive rates, convenient Digital Banking services and lending solutions such as Student Choice. Account options are based on the age of the student.

Accounts for Minors

Accounts for minors can be opened as an individual, joint or custodial/Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) account depending on the minor’s age.

Savings Savings Savings Checking Checking
Age Individual Joint UTMAIndividual Joint
Under 13NoYesYesNo No
13-15NoYesYesNo Yes
18+YesYesNo YesYes

A minor eligible for membership may open their own savings and checking account with a debit card at the age of 16. A photo identification is required such as a valid driver’s license or school ID as well as proof of address (a report card or a statement from another financial institution is acceptable). If a checking account is opened, a credit report is obtained on the minor. A parent or legal guardian can only be added as a joint owner with the written authorization of the minor by completing a new Membership Application with the joint owner.

The Credit Union will allow a minor to open a joint account with a parent or legal guardian. To open a joint account, the minor has to be able to sign his/her name on the signature card. Otherwise, a custodial/UTMA account can be opened. If the last names of the minor and the joint do not match, we require a birth certificate or legal guardianship documentation to verify the relationship. A photo identification is required for the joint owner such as a driver’s license, passport, military ID or other government issued ID. If the minor is age 16 or 17, a checking account may be opened and a credit report will be obtained on the minor and joint owner. Check endorsements are limited to the minor or the parent/guardian who must include the following verbiage:

Signature of parent/guardian
Parent/guardian of [child’s name]

The Credit Union offers Custodial/Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) accounts which can be opened by a custodian who is a parent or legal guardian. Deposits to a custodial account are an irrevocable gift to a minor. Checking accounts and debit cards are not permitted under the custodial account ownership type. An ATM card can be issued to the custodian of the account. If the last names of the minor and the custodian do not match, we require a birth certificate or legal guardianship documentation to verify the relationship. The child can assume control of the funds when he or she reaches the age of majority. The designated custodian does not own the deposits in the account, the minor is ultimately the owner of the funds in the account.

Tools for the Classroom

Educational Systems FCU offers a variety of complimentary tools to help members of the education community enhance their financial education.  

Financial Resources

We know students appreciate a useful study guide. Ace your financial goals with the help of our financial resources.

Student Choice lending options

Cover your undergrad expenses and pursue your dreams of higher education with a Private Student Loan.

Frequently Asked Questions

Stop payments may be requested during business hours by phone or in person. The fee for this service is outlined in our fee schedule [link to]. There is no fee if the stop payment is requested online through Digital Banking.

Please follow our step-by-step guide to deposit a check at our ATM.

You can open an account at Educational Systems FCU by visiting a branch or mailing in a paper application to PO Box 179, Greenbelt, MD 20768-0179. You will need to provide a photo identification and verification of address.

Keep in mind that once you’re a member, you’re always a member, even if you leave your place of employment. Membership is based on your employer or family relationship at the time of Credit Union enrollment and maintaining the required minimum balance.

Become a member and establish your financial foundation today.

Featured Resources

Support Education Foundation
The Support Education Foundation supports charitable giving programs for the benefit of the education community.
Financial Education Seminars
Schedule a seminar to learn about various financial topics.
Checking and Savings Rates
Explore rates across our accounts.